Synthesis, characterization, DFT calculations and biological activity of derivatives of 3-acetylpyridine and the zinc(II) complex with the condensation product of 3-acetylpyridine and semicarbazide
Authorized Users Only
Anđelković, Katarina K.
Article (Published version)
MetadataShow full item record
A Schiff base of 3-acetylpyridine with semicarbazide as well as the corresponding tetrahedral Zn(II) complex were synthesized and characterized by X-ray crystal structure analysis and spectroscopic methods. It is interesting to note that the ligand coordinated as a monodentate although there are several donor atoms in it. Computational studies showed that such structure is more stable than the hypothetical structure with one ligand bound as a bidentate. The complex exibited moderate antibacterial, antifungal and cytotoxic activities while the ligand was mostly inactive. The complex strongly induced formation of reactive oxygen species in tumor cell lines. It also influenced cell cycle progression in tumor cell lines, and induced autophagy. The latter effect is, at least in part, a protective one.
Keywords:Zn(II) complex / Schiff base / DFT calculations / Biological activity
Source:Inorganica Chimica Acta, 2013, 404, 5-12
- Elsevier Science Sa, Lausanne
- Interactions of natural products, their derivatives and coordination compounds with proteins and nucleic acids (RS-172055)
- Modulation of intracellular energy balance-controlling signalling pathways in therapy of cancer and neuro-immuno-endocrine disorders (RS-41025)
- Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovacion (MICINN) [CTQ2011-25086/BQU]
- Slovenian Research Agency (ARRS) [P-0175]
- MICINN (Ministry of Science and Innovation, Spain)
- FEDER fund (European Fund for Regional Development) [UNGI08-4E-003]
- DIUE of the Generalitat de Catalunya [2009SGR528]