Chemotaxonomic Significance of the Terpene Composition in Natural Populations of Pinus nigra JFArnold from Serbia
Authorized Users Only
Bojović, Srđan R.
Marin, Petar D.
Article (Published version)
MetadataShow full item record
The essential-oil variability in seven native populations belonging to different infraspecific taxa of Pinus nigra (ssp. nigra, var. gocensis, ssp. pallasiana, and var. banatica) growing wild in Serbia was analyzed. In the needles of 195 trees from seven populations, 58 essential-oil components were identified. The major components were -pinene (43.6%) and germacrene D (29.8%), comprising together 73.4% of the total oil composition. Based on the average chemical profile of the main terpene components (with contents gt 5%), the studied populations were found to be the most similar to populations from central Italy and Greece (ssp. nigra). Cluster analysis showed the division of the populations into three principal groups: the first group consisted of PopulationsI, II, III, IV, and V (considered as ssp. nigra group), the second of PopulationVI (ssp. pallasiana group), and the third of PopulationVII, which had the most distinct oil composition (ssp. banatica group). The taxonomic implica...tions of the essential-oil profiles of the investigated taxa of this very complex species are discussed.
Keywords:Pinus nigra / Essential oils / Needle terpenes / Cluster analysis (CA) / Chemotaxonomy
Source:Chemistry and Biodiversity, 2013, 10, 8, 1507-1520
- Wiley-V C H Verlag Gmbh, Weinheim