Challenges in assignment of orbital populations in a high spin manganese(III) complex
Authorized Users Only
AuthorsFitzpatrick, Anthony J.
Morgan, Grace G.
Article (Published version)
MetadataShow full item record
Magnetic, structural and computational data of four complex salts with the same mononuclear high spin octahedral Mn(III) complex cation are reported. The manifestation of Jahn-Teller-like distortions in the Mn(III) cation is dependent on the nature of the charge-balancing anion, with small anions yielding a planar elongation and large anions freezing out a preferential axial elongation along one of the amine-Mn-imine directions within that same plane. Modulation of the lattice by changing the charge balancing anion results in mixing of the orbital symmetry due to vibrational perturbation.
Source:Dalton Transactions, 2016, 45, 15, 6702-6708
- Royal Soc Chemistry, Cambridge
- Rational design and synthesis of biologically active and coordination compounds and functional materials, relevant for (bio)nanotechnology (RS-172035)
- COST Action [CM1305]
- Ramon y Cajal fellowship [RYC-2013-12515]
- Cultural Service of the French Embassy in Ireland
- Science Foundation Ireland [12/IP/1703]
- Irish Higher Education Authority
- National University of Ireland
- University College Dublin