Production of levan by Bacillus licheniformis NS032 in sugar beet molasses-based medium
AuthorsGojgić-Cvijović, Gordana D.
Jakovljević, Dragica M.
Lončarević, Branka D.
Todorović, Nevena M.
Pergal, Marija V.
Vrvić, Miroslav M.
Article (Accepted Version)
MetadataShow full item record
The production of levan by Bacillus licheniformis NS032 in a medium based on sugar beet molasses was studied. High polysaccharide yields were produced by using diluted molasses (100–140 g/L of total sugars) with the addition of commercial sucrose up to 200 g/L of total sugars, as well as K2HPO4. A levan yield of 53.2 g/L was obtained on a medium optimized by response surface methodology, containing 62.6% of sugar originating from molasses, and 4.66 g/L of phosphate, with initial pH value of 7.2. In comparison to the media with 200 and 400 g/L sucrose, in the molasses optimized medium, the observed bacterial growth was faster, while the maximum production of polysaccharide was achieved over a shorter time interval (48 h). The polysaccharide produced in molasses medium had a weight average molecular weight of 5.82 × 106 Da, degree of branching 12.68%, viscosity of 0.24 dL/g, and based on methylation analysis and NMR data, it did not significantly differ from levan obtained in the medium ...with 200 g/L sucrose. © 2018 Elsevier B.V.
Keywords:Levan / Molasses / Molecular weight
Source:International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 2019, 121, 142-151
- Simultaneous Bioremediation and Soilification of Degraded Areas to Preserve Natural Resources of Biologically Active Substances, and Development and Production of Biomaterials and Dietetic Products (RS-43004)
- Natural products of wild, cultivated and edible plants: structure and bioactivity determination (RS-172053)
- Synthesis and characterization of novel functional polymers and polymeric nanocomposites (RS-172062)
- Supplementary material: http://cherry.chem.bg.ac.rs/handle/123456789/2943
- This is peer reviewed version of the following article: Gojgic-Cvijovic, G. D.; Jakovljevic, D. M.; Loncarevic, B. D.; Todorovic, N. M.; Pergal, M. V.; Ciric, J.; Loos, K.; Beškoski, V.; Vrvić, M. M. Production of Levan by Bacillus Licheniformis NS032 in Sugar Beet Molasses-Based Medium. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 2019, 121, 142–151. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2018.10.019