TLC Fingerprinting and Pattern Recognition Methods in the Assessment of Authenticity of Poplar-Type Propolis
Authorized Users Only
Tešić, Živoslav Lj.
Article (Published version)
MetadataShow full item record
Propolis is a "natural" remedy with prominent biological activity, which is used as dietary supplement. In the absence of clinical studies that would substantiate these claims, information on the biological activity of propolis is valuable. This study comprises chromatographic, image processing and chemometric approach for phenolic profiling of Serbian, Croatian and Slovenian propolis test solutions. Modern thin-layer chromatography equipment in combination with software for image processing was applied for fingerprinting and data acquisition, whereas the principal component analysis was used as pattern recognition method. Characterization of phenolic profile was performed along with the determination of the botanical and geographical origin of propolis. High-performance thin-layer chromatograms reveal that Central and Southeastern European propolis samples are rich in flavonoids. In addition, phenolic compounds proved to be suitable markers for the determination of European propolis a...uthenticity.
Source:Journal of Chromatographic Science, 2016, 54, 7, 1077-1083
- Oxford Univ Press Inc, Cary
- Structure-properties relationships of natural and synthetic molecules and their metal complexes (RS-172017)
- [BI-RS/14-15-007 (451-03-3095/2014-09/14)]
- specialized funds of the Department of Environmental Health, Faculty of Medicine, University of Rijeka
- Slovenian Research Agency [P1-0005]
- Free full text: https://doi.org/10.1093/chromsci/bmw024