New ruthenium(II) bipyridyl complex: Synthesis, crystal structure and cytotoxicity
AuthorsBaroud, Afya A.
Van Hecke, Kristof
Article (Published version)
MetadataShow full item record
A new Ru(II) bipyridyl complex with O-4-hydrogenpyridine-2,4-dicarboxylate was synthesized and characterized by IR, NMR and mass spectrometry, X-ray diffraction analysis and elemental analysis. The electrochemical characteristics of the complex were investigated by cyclic voltammetry, revealing Ru(II)/Ru(III) electron transfer in the positive range of potentials. On the opposite potential side, multiple partially reversible peaks were dominant, representing subsequent reductions of the bulky bipyridyl moiety. The cytotoxic activity of the complex was tested in two human cancer cell lines: A549 (lung cancer) and K562 (leukemia) as well as non-tumor MRC-5 cells, by MTT assays. The IC50 values were gt 300 and 177.63+/-2.28 mu M for the A549 and K562 cells, respectively.
Keywords:metal complex / characterization / X-ray / redox properties / biological study
Source:Journal of the Serbian Chemical Society, 2017, 82, 3, 267-275
- Serbian Chemical Soc, Belgrade
- Rational design and synthesis of biologically active and coordination compounds and functional materials, relevant for (bio)nanotechnology (RS-172035)
- Strengthening of the MagBioVin Research and Innovation Team for Development of Novel Approaches for Tumour Therapy based on Nanostructured Materials (EU-621375)
- Research Foundation - Flanders (FWO) [184.108.40.206N]
- Hercules Foundation [AUGE/11/029]