Towards better quality criteria of European honeydew honey: Phenolic profile and antioxidant capacity
Gašić, Uroš M.
Tešić, Živoslav Lj.
Article (Accepted Version)
MetadataShow full item record
Concerning the particular nutritive value of honeydew honey compared to blossom honey, and small number of studies defining botanical origin of honeydew honey, comprehensive analysis of phenolic profile of 64 honeydew honey samples of specific botanical origin was performed. Two advanced techniques of liquid chromatography hyphenated with mass spectrometry were used for identification of a total of 52 compounds and quantification of 25 of them. Pattern recognition analysis applied on data on phenolic compounds content confirmed that quercetin, naringenin, caffeoylquinic acid, hydroxyphenylacetic acid, apigenin and genistein, could be considered as potential markers of botanical origin of honeydew honey. Spectroscopic and electrochemical approaches were applied for the evaluation of the antioxidant capacity. Quercus sps. samples, Quercus frainetto and Quercus ilex, showed high biological activity and specific chemical composition. Additionally, cyclic voltammetry profiles were used for ...characterization and natural clustering of honeydew honey for the first time.
Keywords:Honeydew honey / Phenolic profile / UHPLC-LTQ OrbiTrap MS / UHPLC-DAD-MS/MS / Pattern recognition methods / Antioxidant activity
Source:Food Chemistry, 2019, 274, 629-641
- Elsevier Sci Ltd, Oxford
- Structure-properties relationships of natural and synthetic molecules and their metal complexes (RS-172017)
- Strengthening of the MagBioVin Research and Innovation Team for Development of Novel Approaches for Tumour Therapy based on Nanostructured Materials (EU-621375)
- Ministry of Science and Education of the Republic of Croatia, Croatia
- This is the peer-reviewed version of the following article: Vasic, V.; Gašić, U. M.; Stanković, D.; Lusic, D.; Vukic-Lusic, D.; Milojković-Opsenica, D.; Tešić, Ž. L.; Trifković, J. Towards Better Quality Criteria of European Honeydew Honey: Phenolic Profile and Antioxidant Capacity. Food Chemistry 2019, 274, 629–641. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2018.09.045
- Supplementary material: http://cherry.chem.bg.ac.rs/handle/123456789/3012