Identification of stress biomarkers for drought and increased soil temperature in seedlings of European beech (Fagus sylvatica)
McDowell, Nathan G.
de Marco, Ario
Article (Accepted Version)
MetadataShow full item record
Drought is an environmental stress that impacts plant productivity. Projections show both an increase in intense rain events and a reduction in the number of rain days, conditions that leads to increased risk of drought. Consequently, the identification of molecular biomarkers suitable for evaluating the impact of water deprivation conditions on forest plant seedlings is of significant value for monitoring purposes and forest management. In this study, we evaluated a biochemical methodology for the assessment of drought stress coupled with variable soil temperature in European beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) seedlings by analyzing a set of metabolites and enzymes involved in free radical scavenging and cell wall synthesis. The results indicate that the specific activities and isoform profile of superoxide dismutases and glutathione peroxidases together with the variation of phenolic compounds enable discrimination between seedlings with different degrees of photosynthetic activity. This app...roach represents a promising platform for the assessment of drought stress in forest trees and could serve for enhancing selection and breeding practices, allowing for plants that are more tolerant of abiotic stress.
Keywords:beech / drought / superoxide dismutase / oxidative stress / glutathione peroxidase
Source:Canadian Journal of Forest Research = Revue Canadienne de La Recherche Forestiere, 2017, 47, 11, 1517-1526
- Canadian Science Publishing, Nrc Research Press, Ottawa
- Allergens, antibodies, enzymes and small physiologically important molecules: design, structure, function and relevance (RS-172049)
- EUFORINNO - European Forest Research and Innovation (EU-315982)
- Young Researchers programme
- Slovenian ARRS research programme Forest Biology, Ecology and Technology [P4-0107]
- This is the peer-reviewed version of the following article: Popović, M.; Gregori, M.; Vodnik, D.; Ferlan, M.; Mrak, T.; Straus, I.; McDowell, N. G.; Kraigher, H.; de Marco, A. Identification of Stress Biomarkers for Drought and Increased Soil Temperature in Seedlings of European Beech (Fagus Sylvatica). Canadian Journal of Forest Research = Revue Canadienne de La Recherche Forestiere 2017, 47 (11), 1517–1526. https://doi.org/10.1139/cjfr-2016-0530