Synthesis, characterization and crystal structures of two pentagonal-bipyramidal Fe(III) complexes with dihydrazone of 2,6-diacetylpyridine and Girard's T reagent. Anticancer properties of various metal complexes of the same ligand
AuthorsAnđelković, Katarina K.
Milenković, Milica R.
Matić, Ivana Z.
Radanović, Dušanka D.
Article (Accepted Version)
MetadataShow full item record
In this work synthesis, characterization and crystal structures of two isothiocyanato Fe(III) complexes with 2,2'[2,6-pyridinediylbis(ethylidyne-1-hydraziny1-2-ylidene)]bis[N,N,N-trimethyl-2-oxoethanaminium] dichloride (H2LCl2) ligand, with composition [FeL(NCS)(2)]SCN center dot 2H(2)O and [FeL(NCS)(2)](2)[Fe(H2O)(NCS)(5)}4H(2)O, has been reported. Both iron(III) complexes possess the same pentagonal-bipyramidal complex cation, while the nature of their anions depends on mole ratio of NH4SCN and FeCl3 center dot 6H(2)O used in reaction. Cytotoxic activity of new Fe(III) complexes, as well as of previously synthesized isothiocyanato Co(II), Ni(II), Mn(II), Zn(II) and Cd(II) complexes with the same ligand, was tested against five human cancer cell lines (HeLa, MDA-MB-453, K562, LS174 and A549) and normal cell line MRC-5. The best activity was observed in the case of Fe(III), Co(II) and Cd(II) complexes. The investigation of potential of these complexes to induce HeLa and K562 cell cycle... perturbations was also evaluated. Mechanism of cell death mode was elucidated on the basis of morphological changes of HeLa cells as well as identification of target caspases. It was established that DNA damage could be responsible for the activity of Fe(III) and Co(II) complexes. Synopsis: Pentagonal-bipyramidal Fe(III) complexes with dihydrazone of 2,6-diacetylpyridine and Girard's T reagent have been synthesized and characterized. Cytotoxic activity of Fe(III) complexes and Co(II), Ni(II), Mn (II), Zn(II) and Cd(II) complexes with the same ligand was tested. The best activity was observed in the case of Fe (III), Co(II) and Cd(II) complexes.
Keywords:2,6-diacetylpyridine dihydrazone / Crystal structure / Cytotoxicity / DNA interactions / Fe(III) complexes / Pentagonal-bipyramidal
Source:Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry, 2017, 174, 137-149
- Elsevier Science Inc, New York
- Interactions of natural products, their derivatives and coordination compounds with proteins and nucleic acids (RS-172055)
- Biological response modifiers in physiological and pathological conditions (RS-175011)
- Slovenian Research Agency [P-0175]
- This is the peer-reviewed version of the following article: Anđelković, K.; Milenković, M. R.; Pevec, A.; Turel, I.; Matić, I. Z.; Vujčić, M.; Sladić, D.; Radanović, D.; Brađan, G.; Belošević, S.; et al. Synthesis, Characterization and Crystal Structures of Two Pentagonal-Bipyramidal Fe(III) Complexes with Dihydrazone of 2,6Diacetylpyridine and Girard’s T Reagent. Anticancer Properties of Various Metal Complexes of the Same Ligand. Journal of Inorganic Biochemistry 2017, 174, 137–149. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jinorgbio.2017.06.011
- Supplementary material: http://cherry.chem.bg.ac.rs/handle/123456789/3259