Application of polyphenol-loaded nanoparticles in food industry
AuthorsMilinčić, Danijel D.
Popović, Dušanka A.
Lević, Steva M.
Kostić, Aleksandar Ž.
Tešić, Živoslav Lj.
Nedović, Viktor A.
Pešić, Mirjana B.
Article (Published version)
MetadataShow full item record
Nanotechnology is an emerging field of science, and nanotechnological concepts have been intensively studied for potential applications in the food industry. Nanoparticles (with dimensions ranging from one to several hundred nanometers) have specific characteristics and better functionality, thanks to their size and other physicochemical properties. Polyphenols are recognized as active compounds that have several putative beneficial properties, including antioxidant, antimicrobial, and anticancer activity. However, the use of polyphenols as functional food ingredients faces numerous challenges, such as their poor stability, solubility, and bioavailability. These difficulties could be solved relatively easily by the application of encapsulation. The objective of this review is to present the most recent accomplishments in the usage of polyphenol-loaded nanoparticles in food science. Nanoparticles loaded with polyphenols and their applications as active ingredients for improving physicoc...hemical and functional properties of food, or as components of active packaging materials, were critically reviewed. Potential adverse effects of polyphenol-loaded nanomaterials are also discussed.
Keywords:Food packaging / Food processing / Functional food / Nanofood / Nanomaterials / Nanoparticles / Nanotechnology / Polyphenols
Source:Nanomaterials, 2019, 9, 11, 1629-
- Utilization of plant sources of protein, dietary fiber and antioxidants in food production (RS-31069)
- Structure-properties relationships of natural and synthetic molecules and their metal complexes (RS-172017)
- Develooment and utilization of novel and traditional technologies in production of competitive food products with added valued for national and global market - CREATING WEALTH FROM THE WEALTH OF SERBIA (RS-46001)
- Improvement and development of hygienic and technological procedures in production of animal originating foodstuffs with the aim of producing high-quality and safe products competetive on the global market (RS-46009)
- Novel encapsulation and enzyme technologies for designing of new biocatalysts and biologically active compounds targeting enhancement of food quality, safety and competitiveness (RS-46010)